Saddle shoes are iconic retro shoes and I think they are so cute! They are typically a low-heeled casual leather Oxford Shoe with a white toe and a saddle-shaped decorative panel in the middle. Saddle shoes were very popular in the 50’s and even worn by Elvis Presley in Jailhouse Rock, Bert from Sesame Street, and Lucy from the Peanuts comic strip (source). Payless Shoes started selling saddle shoes online only this year and though they aren’t outrageously priced, I like trying on shoes in person. So, I decided to make some DIY Saddle shoes and they cost me less than $10.
DIY Saddle Shoes
- White Canvas Shoes ( I got my shoes at Walmart for just $5.97)
- Colored Sharpie Marker (regular or fabric ones)
1.Take the laces out of the shoes.
2. Use a thin sharpie to outline the area you want colored in. Also trace around the shoelace holes. I used a thin sharpie because a newer/full size sharpie may bleed and you don’t want marker all over. I used a regular sharpie because that is what I had available.
3. Using a full size sharpie in the color of your choice, color in the saddle shape. Take your time near the edges.
4. Let shoes dry a couple days before use.
5. Lace up and show your retro/rockabilly style!
Where are you going to wear your DIY Saddle Shoes at? Let me know in the comments! I am trying mine out at Disney’s Dapper Day at Walt Disney World.